Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Happy Endings

The University of Mary Washington is about 70% women, which presents a lot of unique opportunities. On the one hand, it means I get to meet a lot of new people everyday since I primarily work with women. On the other hand, it means I have a lot of work to do.

With so many women, however, I end up talking a lot about vocations, particularly the vocation of marriage and, alongside it, the lack of men. It's hard to feel called to marriage, but to also know that you are only one half of that vocation. It's also hard to see two of my teammates married with children. Their wives are wonderful people, but sometimes jealousy creeps in, and it's difficult to not idealize the lives they have.

Mr. Bingley and Jane

I was watching the movie "Pride and Prejudice" with my sisters, and it got to the scene where Mr. Bingley is leaving Netherfield, his house near the Bennett family. With his leaving, he is also leaving behind Jane, who has fallen in love with him. As he was driving away, I said to my sister, "I wish life was like the movies. We know it's all going to work out. It's sad now, but in 45 minutes, they'll be back together and happy."

But life is like the movies! We don't have the pleasure of knowing exactly how things will work out, like we do for Jane and Mr. Bingley, but we do know that things will be happy in the end. Of course, this is all well and easy to say when life doesn't seem to be crumbling down around you, or when you aren't in tears because it doesn't seem fair that you have to wait, and the waiting is hard, and the waiting is longer than 45 minutes. In these moments, though, we get to look at the bigger picture: Jesus became man, lived here on earth with us and for us, died and rose again. He won. We will win. As long as there is faith and hope in Him, there will be happy endings.

1 comment: