Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Houston, We Have a Problem

Oh man, why don't all these boxes hold more!? And maybe my clothes would all grow legs and jump into my suitcases
Oh my goodness, it's time for me to leave for Virginia. Which means packing... Yikes! As of right now, there's SO MUCH to do, I just don't even know where to begin. I think I've looked in my closet, at my desk, went into the bathroom and stared at all the stuff I have there, and then start looking at everything again. Maybe, if I just look really intently at all my things for long enough, they'll pack themselves up all nicely. Maybe they'll even magically be transported to Virginia.

And I'm pretty sure my stuff has gotten bigger, while my car has gotten smaller. And I keep remembering things I have to bring--like, it's hot now, but in a few months it will be cold! I need my winter clothes! And blankets! And snow boots! Uh-oh...

Except, even as I'm packing, I'm not sure I want any of my things to be magically moved to Virginia. Today seemed to just fly by. I looked at the clock and it was 7 am. Then I blinked and it was 3 pm and then, just one blink later, it's 9 pm. And now I only have one day, ONE DAY!, left in Green Bay. I'm not sure that's long enough--I don't know how to leave my family, and say "See you at Christmas!" My things fit so well in my room and my closet and, really, it seems like such a waste to move everything only to move it all back in a year or two. Maybe I should just not go.

But what am I thinking!? Of course I'm going to go! I love my job!! A missionary at the UW told me that change is good, but transition is hard. And it's so true! I'll just remember that this packing up of my life isn't supposed to be easy. I'll just remember that my things fit in my room so well because they've been here for 22 years, so it's right that they fit. It's hard to pack up and move, because it somehow seems more permanent than moving to college did. I might be making this more dramatic than it needs to be. (I started crying while packing, so I'm definitely making this more dramatic than it needs to be.) And I also might be writing this blog post just to put off more packing...

Change is good; transition is hard.

1 comment: